Monday, February 25, 2013

February 25th, 2013

So to respond to what you have been writing me:

No I haven't gotten the Valentine's day package, but Elder J tells me there are 3 packages for me in their house in Guzman, so I'm guessing one of them is it, which means I'll get it tomorrow.  The transfer is this week, so who knows where I'll be next Monday and with which companion.  It's decently likely that I get transferred, but you never know with President Wagner.  The transfers usually aren't what anyone expects they'll be (e.g. Elder B is still in A training again!) so we'll see.  I could stay here and get a new companion or we could stay another transfer together.  But next week I'll let you know where to send the licorice, whether it be to me or to the member's house.  

That's cool that you've been watching The District.  And I didn't even know that Elder Moreno is Michael Moreno!  How do we know him again?  Those guys are like our heroes because we watch little clips from those videos all the time as part of Elder R's training.  Also, maybe you've noticed that what you have been seeing is called The District 2.  Yes, the District 1 exists, and it was actually filmed in the San Antonio mission!  It looks like a great mission.  Timo, you'll see those videos in the MTC, and if not there, in the field.  Pretty cool, right?

Gwen, I'm sorry I didn't say anything about your tooth.  I love you!  And I've noticed that you have been writing me all by yourself, smarty pants.  Stop growing up!

Sounds like the whole call opening thing was an awesome experience.  Wish I could have been there.  You filmed it for me, right?

SPENCER'S ENGAGED?!!! (friend who was in his band)  He's been home like barely 6 months, right!  Sheesh!  That's super great!  And even better that she's a Switchfoot fan!  And I am not at all surprised that he's the first one to go.  I just had this feeling...you know?  And I'm pretty sure Tyler (Spencer's younger brother and Taran's friend too) will probably be engaged before I get home.  He'll be the first one from my generation to go, if not Andrew (another friend in the band and on a mission).  So you can use this to freak out Sister Bernards (the mom of Spencer and Tyler) a little more if you want.  

No, the new missions in Mexico don't effect us at all.  They're all really far away from here.  Good news, right?

Happy late Birthday Micah!  I totally forgot to mention it last week, but I hope it was a great day, and that you got lots of birthday kisses from your women friends :)

This week was pretty good.  We did divisions (splits) again and this time I went to G with Elder J.  I love that guy.  It was a blast.  So the guy that works in the Cyber Cafe--Elder R went to see him with Elder D.  They couldn't teach a full lesson because he was working, but they asked him if he had read the Book of Mormon we gave him and he said he had.  The next day when I got back we went to visit him and I asked him about his reading.  He said that he had to confess that he hadn't read.  He told me he felt something weird that wouldn't let him lie around me, and that he needed to tell me everything.  And then he told me everything!  I now understand the phrase "Spirit of Truth" a lot better.  He told us that he never had a Dad and that is what has bothered him the most all these years--he feels like he's not a good dad because he never had one, he finds it hard to believe in God for the same reason.  He was crying right there in his cyber cafe telling us all these things.  It was amazing.  The man felt the Spirit just from our presence, we didn't have to say anything.  So remember Timo, as a missionary you have TONS of authority, and people will recognize it and feel the power of God if you are obedient.  Unfortunately, we haven't been able to have a good lesson with him so far (he's always working), but we'll see how it goes this week.  

As far as other investigators, not a whole lot going on.  

This week we had 66 people in church, the most there has been since I got here!  In that group of 66, 12 were less actives--one of which gave a talk--so we're seeing success there!  Our little house of prayer was so full!  And this Sunday, for the first time since I've been here, we had an intermediate hymn and everyone stood to sing it.  It was super powerful with all the members there!  It was really great.  The closing hymn was "God Be With You Till We Meet Again" and was equally powerful.  I had been kind of sad Saturday and Sunday since this is probably my last week here, but it helped me feel better, and worse at the same time!  I really, really love it here.  Good thing I've got at least one more Sunday--we're going to see if we can break 70!

Elder R is still struggling adjusting to missionary life.  The poor child just did not know what he was getting himself into.  At all.  But when he focuses, he teaches really well.  Keep praying for him.

I love you all!  We'll see where I am and who I'm with next Monday.  Thanks for all your love and support, I can definitely feel it!  The church is true, Heavenly Father loves us and Jesus is our Savior.  ¡Adios!

-Elder Pew