Friday, July 20, 2012

July 20th, 2012


Hola todos!  Ojala que todos esten bien.  Solo tengo 3.5 semanas aqui!  Entonces, oren para que mi visa llegue a tiempo.
(Hi everyone!  I hope you are all well.  I only have 3-1/2 weeks here.  Therefore, pray so that I will receive my visa in time.)
 
It was a pretty good week.  As prophesied, our district is changing again.  Last Friday night, the two Elders living with Elder Plowman and Elder Woodward got a third companion, so those two moved in with us.  Holy party!  Also, Elder Bonner got his visa and he heads to the Peru MTC on Tuesday.  Obviously, he's super excited.  I'm going to miss that guy.  He'll be great, though.
 
Speaking of leaving, Elder Brimley left me this week.  For the first time since like 1st grade, we're not in the same ward.  But not to worry, we've started an ultimate tic-tac-toe game.  I'm sending him my first move today.  This will probably last our whole missions, so that'll be fun.  Yes, it is true, Austin's visa didn't come and he is still here.  I haven't heard from him since Wednesday, though, so maybe it has come since then.
 
The lessons have been going well.  We had an AWESOME lesson with Nicolas this week and learned a lot more about his testimony and what he needs.  He told us he really liked the story of Enos (the man's already read past Enos in the past two weeks!) so we used that to kind of segway into faith.  It was fantastic.  He wants to be baptized, he just wants to learn the commandments before he'll commit.  Understandable, right?  So we'll teach him those next week and hopefully he'll be ready to be baptized next Saturday.  Wilmer is getting baptized tomorrow if all goes according to plan.  He's completely off coffee and very excited to be baptized.  He has his interview tonight, so hopefully that goes well. 
 
We had an awesome fireside last Sunday with Jenny Oaks Baker, daughter of Dallin H. Oaks and professional violinist.  She pretty much just performed songs for us and talked a little bit in between.  She was pretty amazing.  Also, she had her children perform "I Am A Child Of God" for us.  She has 4 kids, all under the age of like 11.  The oldest two played cello and violin, the next youngest daughter, who was about 7, played piano and was just ridiculously good, and her 5 year old son played classical guitar.  He was just plucking one string at a time, but still, you've got to give the kid props.  It made me really miss playing music, which, surprisingly, is the first time I've really felt like that my whole mission. 
 
Elder Ringer is feeling much better.  Going to the doctor really does help.  Who would've thought?  I forgot how funny that guy is when he actually has energy.  Oh man. 
 
Speaking of Elder Ringer and funny, he made possibly the funniest Spanish mistake I've ever heard in my life.  We were practicing inviting someone to church, and Hermano Miller was pretending to be our investigator.  He told us that he has to work on Sundays and he wouldn't be able to come.  Elder Ringer was trying to explain the blessings of coming to church, and that God understands that he needs to work to feed his family, but instead of using the word for feed (alimentar), he used the word for eat (comer), so he really ended up saying "God understands that you need to eat your family."  The practice pretty much stopped there.  Hermano Miller and I couldn't hold it in.  Too funny. 
 
Yesterday was Hermano Lee's (teacher) birthday.  So obviously we wrote a rap for him (in Spanish) and performed it for him when he walked in the classroom, complete with drum solo from Elder Rice.  It was Hermano Miller's (teacher) idea.  Elder Ringer rapped, Elder Duncan, Bonner, and Rice laid down a beat, and I played triangle on a metal coat hanger while Elder Woodward danced in a rolly-chair.  Two other teachers heard us practicing it earlier, so they came in and watched too.  Everyone was dying laughing.  It was great.
 
Well, that's about it for this week.  Mom and Emily, I'm glad you had a good time at girl's camp and that you had a home to come back to when it was over.  It sounds like that Michael McLean fellow really made an impact on everyone's testimony.  Heavenly Father really does love you so much.  One of the best things about being a missionary is that he lets you see that and feel that for each person you talk to, no matter who they are or where they come from, you can really feel the love their Heavenly Father has for them.  He loves us SO much, regardless of what we've done, and that's why he sent His Son--so that we can become like Him and live with Him some day.  I know He lives, that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that this is his true church.  I love you all!  See you in 22.5 months!
 
-Elder Pew
 
Quotes of the week:
 
"I hate it when I shoot my friend in the face on my birthday!" -Hermano Lee
"According to a recent study done by myself..." -Hermano Miller