Monday, January 21, 2013

January 21, 2013

Sorry for not answering your questions (something I mentioned in my letter to him this week).  Sometimes I read your letters before I write you and sometimes after.  And sometimes I forget.  But today I'll try to answer the ones I got this week.  

This week was pretty cool I guess.  Yes I got the package with the baptismal clothes.  Still waiting on those Christmas cards.  Keep writing me long emails, Mom :).  Dad, thanks for the song of the week you've been sending me.  I'm loving them all, especially "Come Thou Fount." but we'll see how that goes. Timo, sounds like preference was awesome.  Sounds like it was pretty awesome.  Emily, good luck with your auditions, I know you'll be fine.  Izak, keep Tim (his bass guitar) busy!  That's a good boy.  Micah, I`m great. I had a lot of fun this week too.  happy pranking.  Zane, I bet your basketball team could at least beat me.  I played today for the first time in like 3 months and I have completely forgotten everything.   Gwen, I love you too! But you should have taken a real octopus to school.  Go big or go home.  

This week started pretty rough.  Elder R just did not want to do anything, he was really homesick and struggling to motivate himself.  J (an investigator) even chewed him out one night for it.  But he recovered and is doing pretty good now.  We had divisions Friday and Saturday; our distrtict leader Elder J, came here with me and Elder R went to Guzman with his companion.  I've known Elder J since the MTC, he's actually been friends with Elder D (MTC comp for a few weeks) since like 3rd Grade, and he's got one transfer more than me, so it was a blast!   We taught L again, the restoration this time, and it was super powerful.  Elder J asked a super inspired question that just left him thinking for minutes in complete silence.  The Spirit was way strong and I think he finally realized the need to read from the Book of Mormon and pray every day.  It was super great!  Also, the first morning we were together,  we were walking down the street and this guy says to us "Hey, where are you guys from?"  We talked to him for about 15 minutes in perfect English (okay, on his part, not ours.  It's amazing how fast you forget.).  He lived in the US for 30 ish years and just barely moved back to Mexico with his wife and 3 kids.  He was way cool and after talking to him, we explained the restoration, gave him a Book of Mormon, and put an appointment for the next day.  He said he would like us to come over because he and his family are still struggling a little bit from the move and need a little more of God in their lives.  Super awesome!  But then the next day on our way to visit him he drove by in his truck and told us that he was on his way to the hospital in Guadalajara because he had hurt his arm.  So we'll see if we can visit him again this week.  

We also visited R and T Saturday night and taught them about the Sabbath day and the sacrament.  They told us they would go to church the next day, and they did!  After almost 6 months listening to the missionaries off and on, they finally made it. And the talks were really great and afterwards we took them to the baptismal font and put a baptismal date for the 16th!  It was great.  We also had branch counsel on Sunday, for I think the first time in the history of the branch.  We made a lot of plans to help the members be really converted and help the branch progress.  I was super pumped the whole time.  I want to stay here for like 6 more transfers just to see the progress that happens.  Even though this Branch president is a little rough around the edges, he is exactly what this branch needs to be able to fix all the problems, and now that we have a good relationship with him, good things are going to start happening.  

My time has run out.  I love you all and I pray for you always (Moroni 8:3)!  The church is true!  Have a fantastic week! 

Elder Pew